Mold is very common in homes across the US, particularly in areas known for their warm and humid conditions. Mold is difficult to prevent as it is caused by microscopic spores and, once it takes hold in your property, can quickly replicate and take over entire walls, ceilings, or floors.
As well as being unsightly, mold can present significant health risks, producing irritants, allergens, and even toxins. These nasty substances can cause a whole host of health issues including itchy skin, a scratchy throat, wheeziness, fever, and sore eyes. It poses a particular danger to people with respiratory conditions such as asthma as it can make symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath much worse.
So, what can you do to address mold problems and protect yourself and your family? If you have only noticed small patches of mold in your home, you may be able to clean it up yourself and prevent further spread. This can be done with over-the-counter cleaning sprays. Just remember to use these products with caution as they could irritate your eyes and skin.
If the problem extends beyond a small patch of mold, you may need to call the experts in. If you notice any of the following signs in your home, get in touch with a mold remediation expert as soon as possible: